Friday, July 11, 2008

Thank You Mack...

Collin finally pooped in the toilet for the first time yesterday. We have been trying to encourage him to do so for a very long time. We decided to take a positive approach into potty training by only making it fun and have him do it when he is ready. We tried to bribe with candy, his favorites M&M's, but he would flat out tell us that he did not want to. So, we left it at that. He would go pee pee in the toilet right before his bath but that was it. He was not potty trained. Until a couple of months ago, when Collin's cousin Walter who is exactly the same age was visiting from Arizona, Collin saw his toy Mack from the Cars movie and was in love. He loved it so much that I thought I would get it for him for Christmas or his birthday. But then it suddenly came to me and I told him that I would buy it for him if he goes poo poo in the toilet. I could tell he was torn. He still refused to go to the potty but every time I changed his poo poo, I kept telling him that he would get Mack if he does it in the toilet. I also realized that he has been telling me he has to go poo poo for the last few weeks, I just did not know it. He would come up to me and say, "Mommy, I am sick". Me thinking he has a upset stomach kept offering him a bowl in case he needs to barf. But after a while, we realized whenever he gets the cramps to go poo poo, he kept telling us he was sick. So, when we put two and two together, it happened. Yesterday, he told his daddy that he was sick. Josh told him to sit on the toilet and if he does poo poo, he will get Mack. And HE DID IT. The whole thing. He showed it to me and I screamed. Then I got Josh and he came then we both screamed. Collin kept saying, "Mommy, Daddy, that is too loud". Then we realized, we did not have Mack. So, out the door I run to Toys R Us to get Mack. When I came back huffing and puffing, Josh told me that I had not taken my cell and I could have gone into labor. Well, no such luck. When I got home, Collin had just got off the phone from calling grandparents to tell them the good news and was bouncing off the wall for Mack. So, Collin has Mack now and is beyond himself. We just loved watching him playing with it and look at his happy face. I could not come home empty handed for Amanda so I bought her Sally. You see, Amanda does not like dolls or girly stuff, and she was more than happy to get Sally.
Collin keeps wanting to play with Sally and I keep telling him that it is Amanda's but he can play with it when Amanda is sleep. So, this morning he is playing with McQueen, Mack and Sally and when Amanda woke up, she wanted her Sally. Collin told her, "Amanda, Sally needs to be with Lightning McQueen. They are going to get married in the temple". My ears perked up and I asked him what temple they are going to be married at. I thought he would say Oakland since that is the temple he knows but he said, "They are going to get married in the temple that cars get married at mommy." I thought that was so cute and I was so happy that he associated marriage with temple. Wow, our little ones are growing up fast and I bet when the time comes and I am at the temple for Collin's wedding, I would think that it was yesterday when he was playing with his cars and telling me that they would get married in the cars' temple.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

How fun! Good job Collin.

I love the little temple story, oh my goodness... so precious.