Sunday, April 20, 2008

Josh's Garden

Lots of work has gone on inside the house and out. This summer I will be working on the yard and the first priority was to get the garden planted. I’ve worked the soil adding compost to make the ground fertile to grow and it appears things are going well. Take a look at the picture: On the right are three types of squash each in front of two rows of okra, two rows of green beans and two rows of peas. There are also radishes around the Fuji apple tree which is center in the photo. The apple tree has a bandage on it from when Collin busted its main branch nearly off. The leaves have survived so hopefully it will be ok. The next door neighbor and I planted another Fuji apple in the front yard in case things don’t work out. In the back row of the picture are three of the four different tomato plants, another planting of squash and the big green spot by the fence is my pea patch planted in February followed by two different types of cucumber. In the corner is the blood orange tree. Around it are planted carrots and to the left of it, you can’t see very well are the beets and climbing green beans (the hope is they will climb on the fence-I’ve never grown climbing plants). Out of sight to the left of this picture are the grape vine, cherry tree and an herb garden where the hope is to pick fresh parsley, chives, cilantro, thyme, mint, dill and two different types of lettuce right off the patio. Out of sight to the right of this picture are the Persian cucumbers, a fourth kind of tomato, strawberries and a row of climbing peas that will climb on the back fence. And this is only pretty much one corner of the back yard. I’m planning on putting in a small well. The water table is very high here and many of our neighbors have them for watering their yards. It is basically an 8 inch pipe 20-30 ft down with a pump on top so no drowning kids (The well is a low priority for now because there are a million other things to do. I’m waiting for the first water bill to see if my accountant thinks it should move up in the priority list. I love my accountant!)
Oh this is Josh writing by the way.....

5 comments:

Janelle said...

I love it!! I'm jealous and want to get started on my own little garden. I want to plant a couple of tomato plants and put them to the side of our front door. Nothing big because we don't have the space, but I need to do it!

jularun7 said...

our weeds have taken over so no garden for us this year ... :( next year for sure. thanks for the inspiration camelia. it looks GREAT!

The Bundys said...

wow...now you are going to be self sustaining...I might have to come live with you.

Eliza said...

Wow - I am totally impressed and jealous!!! We grew beets in CA and they were fabulous. Our beans didn't work out but our tomatoes did. I would love a Fuji tree, that is my absolute favorite apple. I really wish I had a yard to plant in. I plan on getting large pots and planting small veggies in those out on my deck.

Emily said...

we should get a similar post up on our blog once Tony's Garden is further along. :)